Wednesday, February 17, 2010

United We Stand for the Prinicipals of Freedom SB1146 Park Models-Right to Sell

God is Good. Thank you for everyones ecouragement! On Tuesday February 16, 2010, the Senate Commerce Committee voted unanimously to pass through their committee, SB1146, a striker bill amendment; Park Models - Right to Sell provided by Senator John Huppental and Senator Barbara Leff. This bill will modify definitions and rules contained within the Long Term Space Rental Act (RV Act) of 1999. This amendment to the act in the form of SB1146 will be discussed in Caucus next week, then hopefully on to the Senate Floor and over to the House Commerce Committee to go through the process again.

As I walked up to the Senate building, I carried more notebooks, papers and copies of testimonies that I probably needed but I wanted to be prepared. I had brought the City Code Research, testimonies and letters I had received from residents, experts in the industry including the banking, appraisal and transort industies. Earl walked beside me while my son Matt trailed a bit behind as our official videographer.

We made our way across the parking lot, sidewalk and streets and walked into the Senate Building to the kiosk machines that register those who wish to speak in a hearing. You can select whether you are in support, apposed or nuetral and may indicate if you want to speak. After Earl and I logged in, we were directed to the Senate Hearing room as the pages, interns and secretaries prepared for the bills and roll call. We all sat down and got confortable and waited for our turn.

As I was sitting there next to all my piles of papers and notes, I prayed for ordert to my thoughts. I knew so much about what I was going to testify about, my fear was they I might share too much or too long. Earl wrote his points on his right hand. We discussed the purpose of this bill and that even though there are so many issues related to what wrong in the RV Act, the focus was going to be on the right to sell that is on the table.

As we waited all the legislators began to come into the hearing room along with others who either represented other bills or were there to appose or support that hearing. I had no idea who was going to be there to possible appose us. As we continued to wait my mind reflected back to just about an hour before to the dear couple who drove 30 miles just to get their testimony in my hand and notarized to to give me one that another friend of there's had given to support the bill.

It was so important to get everyone who is willing to share a story, to the table and speak up. One lady I was sure would testify decided to back out at the last minute out of fear for possible remifications which she felt could come from it.
I have driven hundreds of miles and delivered hundreds of copies of notices to dozens of businesses throughout Mesa and Apache Junction. The only organization which refused to help was Wal-Mart. That was kind of ironic I thought.

I had gotten anonymous calls and e-mails from those who were curious if the legislation had gone through the week before on February 9. 2010, the original day it was on the Senate Agenda. I was too sick and asked for it to be posponed for this week and it all worked out okay.

When it was my turn Madame Senator called my name; We will now hear Senate Bill number 1146, Kara Holt? I walked up to the podium and addressed the Senator, thanked her for sponsoring and hearing the bill, introduced myself and began.

Tomorrow, I will blog mine and Earls testimony and post a link to the azleg website. I'm glad we taped our own because the leg website seems to be having technical errors and so I was not able to overview the testimony from yesterday. Hopefully that will get fixed but if not, I will post our video on You Tube soon.
One of the Senators who voted for this to pass mentioned in his closing statement that he is sure some private property rights issues will come up. That should be interested. I wonder if a community which acts as a public accomodation could actually convince a superior or supreme court that the corporations rights were to be held in higher regard than and actual persons civil liberties.

According the an excerpt of the 5000 Year Leap p.172 Justice George Sutherland of the US Supreme Court once told the New York State Bar Association: It is not the right of property which is protected, but the right to property. Property, per se, has no rights; but the individual-the man- has three great rights, equally sacred from the arbitrary interference; the right to his LIFE, the right to his LIBERTY, the right to his PROPERTY...The three rights are so bound together as to be essentially one right. To give a man his life but deny him his libert, is to take from him all that makes his life worth living. To give him his liberty but take from him the property which is the fruit and badge of his liberty, is to still leave him a slave. (Principal or Expedient? Annual Address to the New York State Bar Association, 21 January 1921, p.18)

We have the green light and we have the support of Moms and Pops of America. I am designing a flyer and some other items to get out so others can get involved. I am working on that this weekend and will be ready to meet with everyone by Monday.

We will be meeting on Monday morning at my office located in the Phillip Austin Law Firm located at 215 N. Robson in downtown Mesa, just accross the street from the Mesa Police Department on the N/E side of Robson and 2nd St. There is a coffee shop within walking distance, so if we need more space we can all go over there. We will meet at 10am on February 22, 2010.

Please call to confirm you will be there. This legislation is so important because it will give so much more freedom to thousands of retirees who have not been able to stand up for themselves or even hava leg to stand on. We are the leg someone may need to stand up on. We are the hand that someone needs to reach out to hold, we are the voice of the one who forgot how to use theirs or didn't know they had one.
We are the Moms and Pops of America. Call 480-299-7236 or e-mail: karakholt@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment